WHAT CAN YOU DO TO IMPROVE YOUR LIVER HEALTH?
Becoming aware of what is helpful and what is harmful is the first step. Taking actionable steps to implement these findings is the key to wellness.
YOUR DETOX SYSTEMS
- Liver & Gallbladder
- Gastrointestinal – Stomach, Intestines, Colon
- Urinary – Kidneys, Bladder, Urethra
- Skin – Sweat & Sebaceous Glands
- Respiratory – Lungs, Throat, Sinuses, Mouth, Nose
- Lymphatic – Channels & Nodes
CONDITIONS THAT MAY BE PRECIPITATED BY TOXINS
- Skin Rashes
- Thyroid Issues
- Prostate Issues
- Fertility Issues
- Auto Immune Conditions
- Fibrocystic Breasts &/or Ovaries
- Environmental Sensitivities
- Constipation &/or Diarrhea
- Bad Breath
THE LIVER – YOUR BODY’S FILTRATION SYSTEM
Think of your liver as being similar to a furnace filter. If not properly cared for, a furnace filter will get clogged. If you don’t provide a clean filter for the furnace it will not function efficiently and this could potentially cause damage to the furnace itself. The same is true of your liver. If detoxification is not supported and if you are taking in medications or other toxins that can impair the function of your liver, your body will not operate efficiently and could potentially be damaged.
- Lack of detoxification supporting nutrition leads to malfunctioning systems in the body as toxins build up, this places an unwanted burden on the liver.
- Good nutrition can prevent a lot of hardship, sickness and sadness
- Your liver has two detoxification pathways: Phase I and II. These pathways are interrelated and both need to be supported for the liver to function efficiently.
- The liver has many functions in the body: metabolizing the products of digestion from the stomach, processing and helping to rid the body of toxins, storing iron, providing essential energy producing substances, maintaining hormonal balance, regulating blood clotting, producing bile and producing cholesterol and other fats needed by the body.
- If the liver malfunctions, toxins and hormones accumulate in the body causing inflammatory and neurological disease.
- You can support your liver by limiting the toxic load you are taking in from your environment and by supporting its function through your dietary intake of nourishing organic nutrients, antioxidants and phytochemicals.
- Evaluate your cleaning supplies, cosmetics, lotions, tampons, plastics, soaps, detergents, and new carpet, flooring & furniture (off-gassing).
- Compounds in the following foods have been found to support the liver detox process:
- Cruciferous Vegetables
- Green Leafy Vegetables
- There are many things that can inhibit your liver’s function
- Antihistamines (Claritin, Zyrtec, Benadryl, Allegra)
- Benzodiazepines (Valium, Xanax)
- H2 Blockers (Tagamet, Zantac)
- Deficiencies in Vitamins & Minerals
- Vitamin B2
- Vitamin B3
- Grapefruit Juice
- Age, decreased blood flow to the liver
- Lack of Physical Activity
- Poor Nutrition
IMPORTANT: Support and Balance Both Phases of Liver Detoxification. If Phase II is slower than Phase I, then the toxins processed by Phase I are in a state that can cause more harm in the body. This imbalance can occur in two ways: over burdening the Phase I process and under nourishing the Phase II process.
PHASE I (TRANSFORMATION) – Start the Job: Lessen the Burden Phase I of liver detox is burdened by the over exposure to environmental toxins: from the air we breathe, the water we drink, the contaminants and pesticides in the food we eat, and all other toxins we introduce through topical products, cleaning supplies and medications, both over-the-counter and prescription. All of these add to the burden on the liver. This excessive burden can impair the liver’s ability to properly metabolize the toxins and the liver will produce a dangerously high level of free radicals that must be further metabolized by Phase II to protect against oxidative cell damage.
Phase II (CONJUGATION) – Finish the Job: Bind the Toxins Phase II of liver detoxification has a huge job to conjugate and eliminate the bio-transformed substances from Phase I. If the Phase II process is impaired, due to a lack of micronutrients, antioxidants and phytochemicals, it is not capable of keeping up with the toxic load it is given from the Phase I process. These substances are potentially more toxic now that they have been transformed. If the water soluble toxic substances are not effectively eliminated from the body, they are now more dangerous because they can attach to cells in the body other than fat cells, where they are typically stored.
LIVER DETOXIFICATION IS ESSENTIAL FOR HEALTH If the liver malfunctions, toxins and hormones accumulate in the body causing inflammatory and neurological disease.
Supporting your liver function is just one great reason to eat organic and to incorporate juice fasting into your dietary plan.
HERE’S WHAT YOU CAN DO:
- Limit toxins taken into or put onto your body
- Support your liver with organic vegetables, garlic, onion, cardamom & turmeric
- Incorporate juice fasting into your dietary plan.
It may not be realistic for you to eat 100% organic or to completely eliminate all environmental toxins but your health is definitely worth making the effort.